It’s only the beginning of August, but back to school is already on our mind.
Back-to-school time brings full days, busy nights, and struggles with getting nutritious foods on the table and into lunch boxes. We’ve all been there, but experience has shown us that just a little bit of planning ahead will help you keep on top of things.
One of our favourite make-ahead snacks are muffins, and these whole wheat raspberry muffins are sure to do the trick. These muffins are a simple and delicious snack packed full of fibre and fruit, to help keep you fuller longer.
We really like this recipe for a number of reasons. Fresh berries, when not in season, can be a fortune and this recipe works well with fresh or frozen berries. It’s also very quick to throw together and we include common kitchen ingredients.
Look no further for your go-to back-to-school muffin!
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (if you use unsalted butter or margarine, increase to ½ teaspoon)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon sugar, mixed with ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease, or line your muffin tins.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time - beat well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat well. Stir in the milk and both the vanilla and the almond extracts. Mix till smooth. Stir in the berries quickly.
- Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if using.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them.
This back-to-school season we hope to bring you nutritious, time saving recipes that are sure to please everyone in your family! Follow along this fall as we share our favourites.