It’s hard to imagine that in just a few short weeks, school will begin, along with numerous other activities, and time for preparation will cease to exist. You can’t help but ask yourself, what happened to my summer?! This granola bar is a great option to have on hand when planning lunches or when you need a quick and easy snack.
Pecan Cranberry Granola Bars
- 2 cups large flake oats
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal (i.e. rice crispies)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Mix together oats, cereal and coconut in large bowl.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add honey, brown sugar and salt. Stir to combine. Wait for the mixture to come to a full boil and then let it boil for 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Turn heat down to prevent it from overflowing, but maintaining the boil.
- Pour hot mixture over oats. Stir together until the oats mixture is completely coated. Here, you can add in the pecans and the dried cranberries to your mixture before pressing into your pan. Press firmly, so they don’t fall apart when you cut them.
- Place in fridge for 20 minutes, or until ready to serve.
River City Cookery https://rivercitycookery.com/
This easy granola bar recipe lends itself well to many flavour combinations and variations. Feel free to add any variety of nuts, seeds, and chocolate chips, along with any spices, that you like.
For example, instead of almonds and cranberries, try:
Pecan-Cranberry – add 1/3 cup chopped pecans and 1/3 cup dried cranberries to the dry ingredients, along with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
Chocolate-Cranberry – add 1/3 cup dried cranberries to the dry ingredients; once they are coated with the sugar mixture, allow to cool slightly and add 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips.
Chocolate-Almond – add 1/3 cup dried cranberries to the dry ingredients; once they are coated with the sugar mixture, allow to cool slightly and add 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips.
NOTE: We tested the following recipe with both creamed honey and liquid honey. The bars from the liquid honey did not stick together as nicely as the bars with creamed honey.
Cranberry Almond Granola Bars
Line with parchment, or grease a 9x13 pan.
In a large bowl, combine oats, rice crispies, shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and dried cranberries.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir to combine and let it come to a boil. Once the whole pot is boiling, cook for 2 minutes.
Pour butter mixture over dry ingredients. Mix until dry ingredients are well coated.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and press firmly. Place pan in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Cut into desired sizes.