I have a firm belief that the -ber months (September, October, November, December) are soup months. Nothing beats getting cozy with a mug of soup and wool sweater in the fall. This family friendly potato leek soup is one of my favourites. It’s a simple recipe that is packed full of flavour and can be dressed up in a pinch. Potato leek soup is a classic recipe that can be thrown together in less than an hour and perfect for warming bellies on cool days.
We hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do!
- 2 large leeks, just white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In large, high sided pot, or dutch oven, heat over medium heat. Add ½ tbsp canola oil and saute leeks until softened and just beginning to take on colour.
- Add potatoes, stir to combine. Add liquid and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are cooked. This should take about 30 minutes. Garnish with cheese or bacon if desired.
- Feel free to keep the peels on the potatoes for more colour and fibre in your dish.
- This soup can also be blended for a smooth consistency.