Scones are one of the easiest types of quick bread to make so over the next couple of weeks we’re going to share two of our favourite scone recipes – one savoury, and one sweet! These Cheddar Chive Scones are the perfect savoury scone to highlight the fresh spring chives that are springing up.
This recipe is very quick to put together and makes 8 pieces. They are the perfect scone to serve with soup or salad or to eat all by themselves with some butter. We dare you to eat only one!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (increase to 1/2 tsp if using unsalted butter)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, grated*
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp chives, choped
- Preheat oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well.
- Combine the grated butter and wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine to form a shaggy dough.
- Fold in the cheddar cheese and chives.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and form into a circle 6-8" in diameter and about 1-1.5" thick. Cut into 8 pieces and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes and remove from oven when they have a golden brown bottom.
- If the dough seems to dry, feel free to add a splash more of buttermilk.
- *Use a cheese grater to grate the butter to more evenly distribute it throughout the dough