Late summer/early fall is my favourite time of year. There’s so much wonderful produce available and so many options to preserve it. Preserving some of the produce you come across at this time of year allows you to experience the freshness and flavours throughout the winter.
Today we’re sharing a quick way to keep those garden cucumbers hanging around just a little longer. This is a refrigerator pickle recipe which means we are not hot water canning it, it’s not shelf stable, and it MUST always be kept in the fridge. You can keep these in the fridge for up to two months, but I promise they won’t last that long.
- 1/2 lb cucumbers, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- Add sliced cucumbers to a sterilized 2-cup mason jar, set aside.
- Add brine ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour brine over cucumbers.
- Allow jar to cool for about 1 hour and then refrigerate for up to 2 months.
- These pickles will taste great right away but will become more flavourful the longer they sit in their brine.