Our gardens are overflowing with ripe, delicious rhubarb right now, and this rhubarb berry crisp is the perfect way to start using it up!
Crisps are one of our favourite desserts. They can be made very quickly, often with ingredients you always have on hand, and are perfectly suited for a crowd. This recipe combines tart rhubarb with sweet berries to create a perfect dessert that can be served with ice cream or stand alone.
Bring this rhubarb berry crisp to your next summer potluck!
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 3 cups berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries), sliced if strawberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat your oven to 375F and take out a 9x9 baking dish.
- Add fruit in your 9x9 dish and mix to combine.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Cut in the cold butter to your flour and oats mixture. You can also crumble it with your fingers!
- Pour flour mixture evenly over your fruit and bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- We used a 1:1 ratio of rhubarb to berries but if you prefer your crisp a little less sweet you can use a higher ratio of rhubarb.
- Serve crisp with ice cream, whipped cream, or as is!